Is being a 'dater' really an enviable thing?

In the past month, I have had multiple friends tell me that they envy my lifestyle going on dates. My question is why has being a dater become an enviable trait? Simply put, a dater is someone who goes on a lot of dates. Does that sound like fun? Maybe it depends on who you're dating.

Don't get me wrong dating can be this exciting, enjoyable, and invigorating experience. In the past month I have had dates where I go for coffee, hiking, swimming at a waterfall, or just watching a movie at a guys house (yes actually watching a movie). However, I am at the point in my life where I would much rather be going on these dates with the same person in a serious relationship rather than struggling through a different date with a different guy every time.

For me, dating comes with a lot of stress. What do you wear? What do you do? Do you kiss on a first date? Do you do more than kiss on a first date? I get so nervous going on dates that my stomach is literally in knots; you get the anxious feeling like you need to poop even though you don't have to. Once the date starts the stress usually melts away and I actually end up having a good time. Every now and then you get a dud of a date, but hopefully, karma will swing back around and the next date will be that much better to make up for it.

Why do my friends envy this stress of dating I have? I fear that for my friends who say that they envy my dating lifestyle it is actually because they are unhappy with their current situation. I've heard my friends say "I wish I could go on dates like you", my response "You can!" Some of these friends are in relationships, this makes me wonder do they not go on dates with their significant other? Maybe they've simply forgotten that hanging out on a Friday night with your bae is actually a date. I guess what I should be saying is that I envy what they have. On the other hand, a few of these friends have been single people who are moping around because of their current situation. Stop doing that to yourself! No, I don't like dating the way I do, but it's better than the alternative.

Part of what makes this lifestyle enviable is probably because I'm not stuck at home doing nothing. I will agree that's part of why I do it; if I wasn't going on these dates I would probably be home in my underwear binge-watching TV shows online. I am also part of the problem, to my friends I glamorize my lifestyle. I don't love being a part of the dating pool and I go on more bad dates than good, but each date is an adventure or at least a funny story. I refuse to sit at home and mope around because I'm single, so I make the best of it; I go out with my friends or I go on dates with strangers hoping for the best.

How can I actually become The Enviable Dater? My hope is to meet that person who I can go on spontaneous road trips with. I want someone to stay home and binge watch TV in their underwear with me. This is it, my journey through the weird dating pool to find the elusive boyfriend of my dreams and attempting to make a connection that will become something worthy of the envy I have earned. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Time -- Part Two

My First Time -- Part One

Daddies, Twinks, and the Holy Ghosted!