To Date or Not To Date?

That is the Question.

For the past year I have been the guy who shy's away from the committed relationship. I did not want to have to factor someone else into my life. I was having a hard enough time deciding what I was doing, let alone asking someone else for their opinion. However, I have recently come to the conclusion that I am open to commitment once again. After all, I shouldn't deprive someone the wonderful experience of dating me! Which brings us to now, I am currently at a precipice. I'm at the point of a relationship where I don't know whether I should push the guy I am dating to make it an official relationship. My question is 'Will this mess things up?' 

The fear that I think we both have, as we have discussed it, is that by committing to making our relationship something official we are also committing to trying to make our relationship work despite the fear of impending failure. I think the reason why a lot of relationships fail is simply that people are afraid of failing. The TV show You're the Worst described a relationship well when they said 
"Can't not being okay be okay. The vast majority of all human effort however great or minuscule ends in failue. So what are your options? Admit pre-defeat because the odds are you're right or you do it anyway. Maybe we're a success regardless of the outcome because we've tried. Maybe there's a beauty in the struggle against failure." - You're the Worst
I'm not someone who likes to be so pessimistic as to assume everything will fail, however, I do believe there is a beauty in the struggle. I do believe that relationships will go through tough times and I'm someone who will fight like hell for something I believe in almost to a fault. There is beauty in committing to a relationship and making things work, just don't become crazy clingy.

I don't actually fear I will become clingy, but I think the big fear for me is getting hurt or hurting someone else. I have been hurt badly before and I don't care to repeat it. I was destroyed by an ex, but that's a story for another day. I'd be lying to say it doesn't affect me today. It's funny because before the aforementioned destruction I was actually quite PRO-committment, but now I find I fear commitment as I don't want to get hurt. I am also afraid that I will become the monster I so fear and will end up breaking someone's heart. As cliche as it is though, I would rather end up getting my heart broken and giving it a chance, than not risk it at all.

I have come to what I think is a fairly adult realization though. I know that at this point in our dating progression both myself and the guy I am dating have stopped seeing other people. I'm not sure if he still has dating apps on his phone, however, he only ever had Tinder. I personally have deleted all the dating apps I have given up the title my friends gave me of the 'Grindr Kween'. Now I don't find this a huge deal, but I do find it to be a significant realization for myself. That realization is that I might not need to be in an official relationship because for me I know I am committed to trying this. So let's see where things go. 

The Kween is dead, long live the relationship!

via GIPHY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Time -- Part Two

My First Time -- Part One

Daddies, Twinks, and the Holy Ghosted!